Think facial oil is simply about moisture? Afraid to use oils because you think they will clog your pores? Think again! Research shows select essential oils have strong anti-aging benefits. Oils are even better for your health when they contain ingredients that not only lift your spirits, but also boost the strength and radiance of your skin.
We turn to essential oils because they are proven to soothe, restore, and instantly transform dryness with their high concentrations of vitamins, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids. The added benefit of using essential oils is the body’s stress release response to the essential oil molecules, eliciting a calming sense of wellbeing while it works
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are very different than common carrier oils that are found in most beauty products. They are also NOT the same thing as fragrance oils. If you see the word “fragrance” or “fragrance oil” or even “perfume” on anything, you can assume this is synthetic and NOT natural.
An essential oil is a concentrated liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are simply known as the “oil of” the plant from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove. Essential oils are extremely concentrated. For example it takes 16 pounds of peppermint leaves to yield 1 ounce of essential oil. Pure essential oils are minuscule in molecular size, so they can penetrate your skin to heal, soften, and nourish. There are about 40 million trillion molecules in each drop of essential oil.
Essential Oils For The Skin, Hair, & Nails
There are numerous essential oils, each with specific benefits. We will take a look at those top oils for the skin, which provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and moisture barrier repair without weight or a greasy feeling.
- Avocado Seed Oil soothes, protects, and moisturizes skin with its high concentration of omega-3, vitamins, essential fatty acids, and antioxidants.
- Rosehip Seed Oil fights inflammation to improve skin elasticity, dry scalp, and restore shine and luster. It also penetrates easily into the skin, without leaving a greasy residue.
- Grape Seed Oil retains moisture and provides a protective lipophilic barrier that strengthens skin and hair.
- Safflower Seed Oil promotes a strong protective barrier to prevent moisture loss.
- Bergamot Oil is a natural antibiotic and disinfectant, so adding it to any skin care formula helps reduce the need for chemical preservatives. In addition, this antibacterial action makes the oil great for those with acne, as it helps to kill the bacteria on the skin before it can react to create blackheads and pimples. Bergamot has an added property of helping to control excess oil production in the skin, attacking acne from two sides. It encourages skin regeneration and helps regulate the distribution of skin’s natural pigment—melanin—while evening out skin tone.
- Jasmine Oil balances dry, greasy, irritated, and sensitive skin. When used on the hair and scalp, it is shown to promote thicker hair.
- Cardamom Oil is rich in Vitamin C and manganese. It works as a potent antioxidant and detoxifies our whole body. As we get rid of damaging free radicals, our internal system becomes healthy and our skin starts reflecting it clearly. The antiseptic property of cardamom oil is very helpful in treating a variety of skin infections. The antioxidant property of cardamom oil is very helpful in maintaining the health of our hair.
Essential oils provide a wide range of cosmetic and therapeutic benefits. Choosing a skin care formula that combines just the right combination of oils is the ideal way to simplify the selection process and ensure you will achieve the maximize the benefits of these incredible ingredients.
Incorporating Essential Oils into Your Routine
Essential oils are great for your skin and mental wellbeing. They can be incorporated into any part of your skin care routine but are particularly luxurious when included in masks and moisturizers. To compound the cosmetic impact, while wearing a mask, take long, slow deep breaths and allow the oils to enter your body and calm your mind. When using a moisturizer with essential oils, take the time to massage in the product, using slow, firm, upward circular motions. The effect will be healthy, nourished skin and a calm, clear mind.
What is your favorite way to use essential oils? Let us know in the comments below!
Your Skin Coach Recommends:
Oil Nutrient for Face,
Hair & Nails Ultra Rich Moisturizer Calming Mask