You probably already know the skin is your body’s largest organ. But what you probably didn’t know is that it is one of the most important parts of your immune system, as well. That’s right: your skin is the first line of defense your body has against harmful bacteria, airborne illnesses, and environmental aggressors, all of which can hinder your body’s immune strength. Skin immunity is a real thing, and we at Skin Authority recognize its importance in our everyday health and longevity.
What is Skin Immunity?
First, let’s talk about the immune system in your body. It’s the system of organs that work together to keep you safe against bacteria and disease. When you have a cold, the flu, or even COVID-19, that’s your immune system at work, doing its best to clear your body of this intruder.
We all know several organs play an essential role in the well-being of your immune system. The biggest focus as of late has been the role of gut health, but your skin plays an equally large and important role in keeping your body running smoothly. Without skin, you basically have no immune defense whatsoever.
Not only is it the largest organ in your body, but it is the most vulnerable as it’s the outermost layer. You don’t just get sick from forgetting to wash your hands or sharing a drink with someone sick – you can also be harmed from the aggressors that come in contact with your skin.
It’s no longer just about the brain-gut connection. In fact, it never was. It’s a symbiotic relationship between the brain, the gut, and the skin creating the tough defense. They’re all working together, one as important as the other, to keep you safe from the inside out.
How It Works
Skin immunity is a true science, but it has only recently been more deeply studied and integrated into immune strategies. There are several ways the skin contributes to your overall immune health. First, because our skin is porous, it strategizes how to create a non-penetrative barrier, keeping infectious threats out. It also has a microbial barrier full of tiny little helpers that scope out the landscape and fight off surface infections as best as it can.
Once a threat is detected, the Langerhans cell (found beneath the chemical barrier of the skin) reaches through to sample it, carry it through the skin, and send it all the way back into the body so your immune system can identify it and build antibodies.
Imagine if your skin WASN’T a part of your immune system; these aggressors wouldn’t be identified until they have already made their way into your body, giving your immune system no time to build antibodies and prepare to fight infection. Of course, it’s much more complicated and technical than that, scientifically speaking. But what you need to know is that essentially, your skin is the identifier, the attacker, and the catalyst for your internal immune system – and it absolutely matters.
How Can I Build Skin Immunity?
Because skin immunity is so important, it is vital that you start taking care of your skin more seriously to avoid serious illness and infection down the road. Think about how you’re protecting your skin and how what you’re doing is helping your skin’s function. It affects your overall wellness, not just vanity. If you do the work to boost your skin’s defense, you’ll be 71% more protected from even the early signs of illness.
While your entire skin care routine can make or break your skin immunity, there are always active steps you can take to build a healthier and more strong defense, and because we’re focusing heavily on skin immunity now and into the future, Skin Authority is a great place to start.
Fear Free Peel™ Technology
We’ve left out the harsh, damaging ingredients that you find in other exfoliators to give you a gentle peel technology that doesn’t cut into and remove your protective barriers. Even those with sensitive skin can rest easy getting all the benefits of AHA exfoliation without the harsh effects or redness caused by those irritants. Our unique formulations use the power of ultra pure, sugar cane-based glycolic to boost the brightening agents naturally, versus using those higher concentrations of chemicals found in competitive hyperpigmentation products. Skin Authority products with Fear Free Peel™ visibly transform your skin by speeding up cell turnover to refind your skin’s texture and protective barrier.
- Clarifying Liquid Peel is a gentle, leave-on AHA/BHA exfoliator that minimizes oil and pore congestion for a smoother feel and appearance.
- Vitamin A Retinol Renewal is a gentle retinyl cream that boosts cell turnover and moisture to restore depleted, vulnerable skin.
- Resurfacing Accelerator will not only transform the appearance of skin for a more youthful appearance but will slough away any unneeded cells, congestion, and roughness that can interfere with your other products.
- Brightening Serum uses naturally derived spot suppressors, peptides, and exfoliators to help fade the appearance of dark spots, discoloration, redness and damage linked to hormones, sun and pollution. (If you liked our Hyperpigmentation Treatment, you’ll LOVE this one.)
Our beloved SkinSuit product family just keeps on growing, and for good reason. We have designed this line to be at the forefront of leading innovations, including Mineral Active Protection™ and Skin Immunity Boost, & Biome Enhancing to activate your skin superpowers against environmental damage and digital aging.
Our Mineral Active Protection provide full-light and environmental protection, while boosting your other products’ antioxidant and mineral performance including retinol and vitamins C & E up to 200%!
Our SkinSuit Mineral Active Protection products include:
- SkinSuit Face is a sheer silky product that promotes a youthful glow while intercepting indoor and outdoor environmental aggressors before they cause oxidative stress to the skin, further weakening its immune defense.
- SkinSuit Lip is a sheer and beautifully tinted lip treatment that gives your pout that extra layer of protection, especially since your lips don’t come with their own line of immune defense.
- SkinSuit Natural Tint Skin Perfector is a gorgeous tint foundation, corrective moisturizer, and daily protector all in one. It gives you fuller coverage for a smooth look while also giving you full coverage when it comes to protection.
Within the SkinSuit family, our skin immunity boost & biome enhancing products are designed to boost skin immunity to defend against the signs of environmental damage and digital aging while promoting healthy skin with advanced antioxidants and hydrating nourishment.
Our SkinSuit Immunity Boost products include:
- D3+Serum which combines a topical dose of vitamin D with a gentle retinol and a powerful peptide complex to restore luminosity and immune function. It replenishes proteins needed for growth, healing, and barrier protection.
- Nutrient 9X Oil, a proprietary “essential oil cocktail” of nourishing, natural oils, including Avocado, Rosehip, Grapeseed, and Sunflower, to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and moisture barrier repair without weight or a greasy feeling.
- VitaQuench Mist, a nourishing, hydrating, and refreshing spray for the face and body. Soothes and nourishes parched skin as it cools on contact to relieve irritation and dehydration. Replenishes lost moisture while having a calming effect. It’s especially effective after exfoliation or sun exposure. Ideal to use when traveling and during outdoor activities.
VitaD Fortified™ Formulas
It’s becoming a widely known fact that vitamin D is essential for immune health, often playing a larger role than even vitamin C. These Skin Authority formulations protect skin from the damaging effects of bodily aggressors with a topical dose of vitamin D, all while firming and illuminating skin for more radiant results. They will give your skin a much-needed dose of vitamin D, a nutrient that gives your body the signals of what skin cells need to be replaced.
More than 50% of the general population is deficient in vitamin D, and 90% of people of color are deficient in vitamin D. Because it is made in the skin, and your skin needs vitamin D to make more, studies show that a topical application of vitamin D can be an important strategy in achieving and maintaining sufficiency.
- Olive, Fig, Shea Butter Body Cream, infused with Vitamin D and the earthy and bright balance essences of jasmine, sage, and citrus, this lush cream formula will help hydrate, calm, soothe, and soften dry skin without feeling greasy..
- Illuminating Body Peel Cream is an award-winning leave-on body peel (also using that Fear Free Peel™ technology) and moisturizer that exfoliates, smooths and hydrates, all while infusing vitamin D into your skin for an added tool in immune health.
- The Well-Being Bath & Shower Retreat is a restorative and hydrating wash that takes away impurities and lifts the spirits while giving your skin’s immune health a healthy boost, too.
The Bottom Line
Your skin’s health will affect your overall health inside and out. Knowing this will help take us to the next generation of beauty and wellness, making self-care into immune care, too.
Educate yourself and how you can replenish your skin immunity for a longer, healthier, and more joyful life. If you don’t know where to start, please don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our Skin Coaches for a FREE, no-strings-attached meeting to talk about skin health, immunity, and recommended skincare strategies to help you live the life you’ve been dreaming of.