The newest fall fashions won’t look as glam if your skin is post-summer dull. After all that summer sun, serious skin damage control is in order. Just as you swap out your shorts for sweaters in anticipation of cooler temps, do the same with your skin care products. Become a skin care superstar with these five tips:
- Use the change of season to inventory your skin care stash, toss old items and figure out what you truly need. When it comes to products – forget hoarding 20 – you only need two or three. In the morning, I suggest a mild gel cleanser, an antioxidant such as Vitamin C, and a sunscreen moisturizer. Before going to bed, use resurfacing ingredients such as AHAs and retinols in addition to restorative peptides.
- Fall brings dry air, allergies and reduced exposure to sunlight, all of which affect your skin. To counteract the dryer air, take quick, lukewarm showers and apply lotion as soon as you step out of the shower to seal in moisture.
- Don’t be afraid to exfoliate. Regular exfoliation speeds up the cell turnover process, which allows the body to produce moisture-bearing properties like hyaluronic acid. Exfoliate from head to toe weekly to slough off dead skin cells. Facial exfoliation helps plump the skin by churning up elastin and collagen production. I recommend using a natural resurfacing agent such as glycolic acid to gently dissolve dead surface skin cells.
- Sunscreen is your BFF year-round. To determine the quality, check the SPF number on the label (those with SPF 15 or greater yield the best results). Also, scan the active ingredient label to make sure it has UVA-blocking elements such as titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or anything in the avobenzone family.
- Fake a summer glow. To re-create that vacation glow, take a moisturizing sunscreen, add two drops of foundation, and mix together for a natural look. Safe, natural, quick and thrifty!